Many professional learning institutions have mission statements related to convenience. You may have seen commercials that talk about learning in your pajamas, whenever and however you want, with world-class services to help you achieve your goals. Mobile access to education is the embodiment of that convenience. For career colleges, the “anytime, anywhere” access to education provided by online learning is increasingly important.
Our recent post comparing online and traditional learners highlights that demand for online courses exceeds demand for traditional courses across higher ed institutions, and that 30% of today’s students take at least one class online. This should come as no surprise when we consider that today’s learners are accustomed to a highly-connected world, with access to social networks and other online tools constantly at their fingertips.
Mobile learning provides the means to easily integrate educational institutions with these connected learners wherever they live, through whatever means they use to consume information. Mobile education not only benefits students, but also offers numerous opportunities for educational institutions to engage with learners. Specifically, a successful mobile strategy can span across various “stakeholders” within an institution, such as career services, student services, and academics. The universal goal of these stakeholders is to improve the quantity and quality of interactions with students, which can be accomplished through a mobile strategy in these ways:
- Delivering engaging multimedia content to the devices that students use most frequently
- Delivery of notifications that are consumed almost instantly while serving as constant reminders of relevant course information
- Providing access to important contacts and services with minimal effort, which is how we technically-literate learners want to access information
- Engaging prospective students in real-time, giving prospects action items that can be executed immediately as well as fast access to abundant information on the institution
- Differentiating the institution as student-oriented and tech savvy
The hallmark of a truly successful mobile program is that it not only provides convenience, but also highlights the relevance and simplicity of an institution’s academic programs. Keeping a mobile platform stocked with information in an organized manner will help students access the knowledge they need, wherever and whenever the need it. To enhance your professional learning environment with mobile options, consider a partnership with Blackboard. We have the solutions you need to help educate and engage students online and in the classroom, and are ready to help your institution go mobile.